SYTYCD - week 1

So You Think You Can Dance – Auditions 1 & 2

As a dancer and lover of dance I am a big fan of SYTYCD. I missed the first season, only watching the finale, but have been a diehard fan ever since. In fact the first season I watched from beginning to end (summer of 2006) kinda saved my life. I was in the midst of my own great depression and the one of the very few things that lifted my spirits, for that brief hour, was this show. I remember crying along with Benji (did he ever come out of the closet?) and falling in love with Kat (wait, am I going back in the closet?) I was happy to find people in the office who watched. We had weekly “water cooler” discussions and talked favorites dancers and moments. I was also glad to be able to “talk shop” with my dance friends about the show. Those discussions got very involved. They also got emotional, at least for me. It made me think how a professional athlete feels watching his/her sport once retired. Not necessarily the longing to DO but the longing to DO as once was done. Watching SYTYCD does conjure up those kinds of emotions in me and I dare say some of my dance friends. It can best be described with the often overused term – bittersweet. The other thing that comes to mind is a song from A Chorus Line that until only recently (a couple of years ago) really meant anything to me. The song, “What I Did For Love”, talks about a dancer’s relationship with dance from the perspective of a seasoned dancer, one that might be nearing the end of a career. I can get teary just hearing the song in my head. Bittersweet indeed.

But enough of that intro, here’s my assessment of Thursday night’s episode. During auditions I’m glad that Nigel Lythgoe, the Executive Producer, is always a staple on the judges’ panel. Well of course he is, it’s HIS show. I’d totally be on that panel in every city if it were my show. Nigel keeps things on track. He’s also very serious about his critiques and 99% of the time makes assessments that help the dancer if there’s a correction to be made or praises the dancer honestly for good work that was done. However, the judges that sit beside Nigel during auditions that change from city to city do not follow Nigel’s lead. It’s a good move to bring professionals from the various genres of dance (though I’ve yet to see anyone from the world of ballet sitting behind that desk) however it does expose us to some of the choreographers I’d rather only see rather than hear. Two great examples from Thursday night: Little C and that awful Tyce Diorio. I think Little C tries too hard to sound different, to make his critiques unique. Listen Little, just say what you saw – what you liked and why and what you didn’t and why. No need to break out the thesaurus every time you in hale to make a statement. Oy and that Tyce. Why oh why does he bother me so? I think a little bit of it has to be that he reminds just a bit of the person who ignited my great depression of 2005-2006 but there’s more. It’s also the WAY he says things…or maybe what he looks like when he says them. I feel like there’s a stink face that comes out when he’s talking. I think he thinks it drives home his point. Actually I think it just looks as though he just let one rip and he just got a whiff of it. Whatever the case is, he bugs. I’ve enjoyed Toni Redpath’s comments in the past. She comes across as a real lover of dance and shares with the dancer exactly what she just experienced while watching. I LOVE that the crazy Mary Murphy is back on the panel. She and her volume and her general craziness were all missed. You love her or you hate her, I love her. And finally something to be grateful for…at least as of last night…no Mia Michaels. She’s a whole other discussion.

Regarding the dancers, there were a lot that were talented. It took me an hour into the show to be reminded of one of the things that bothers me about the audition process. And that is this: what does a dancer do if he is only a dancer and NOT a choreographer as well? I’m thinking – if I were young enough and good enough I’d love to audition…but what would I dance. I’m not a choreographer…so…now what? Who puts these awesome pieces together? I don’t know. I guess if it were the 80s I would just go to Arve’s Studio where I was taking class and ask Lynnie, my first dance teacher, for help. I have a feeling that would have been some good choreo.

The other thing about the dancers I was reminded of last night was how many were tumbling and doing contortion like tricks. Where are these circus acts coming from? These days its not enough to jump and turn and move rhythmically with emotion to music, you also have to flip and balance a 6 o’clock penche on releve while spinning plates, clanging knee cymbals and playing the accordion. Sometimes more is just more.

My only standout: quirky short haired blonde girl Loved everything about her. And maybe curly haired blonde girl who almost made it last year. There were some shots of dancers during a couple of the montages that looked promising but we won’t get to enjoy them until Las Vegas week. Yay for Las Vegas week.

With all that said I’m really looking forward to this season. For the last few years friends and I have been emailing our thoughts about the show back and forth. I’m hoping to move that discussion to this blog. And for those of you who have not been in on the discussion before: welcome. I’m looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Comments

  1. I agree. So glad Mary Murphy's back! But I'm really sad Adam Shankman isn't going to be a regular again. As for the contestants, I really liked the first girl they featured...adorably quirky Ginnifer Goodwin look-alike. Great post Don! Also...I want to hear your thoughts on Mia Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Quirky is actually Miss Moore (I made note of her last name, but forgot her first). And, curly girl is Ryan. I am rooting for the both of them.
    I'm glad they focused more on the good dancing rather than the bad dancing last week. Looking forward to tonight and tmw night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts