Giving

I’ve been feeling compelled to write about this so rather than wait until my next quarterly update (which I know is WAY overdue) I’m just going to roll this out now and will write more in an official quarterly update later.

I feel like I’m a nice person. A good person. I’m not intentionally mean to people – not even my Starbucks nemesis. I open doors for people and even sometimes let people slide in front on me in my lane when I’m driving. And that’s a BIG deal here in LA. But I have a friend whose acts of kindness and generosity make me ask myself: am I doing enough? One thing he does in particular stands out to me. Admittedly it’s nothing earth shattering but it makes an impact on me every time I witness it.

For as long as I’ve known my friend Eric here in LA I have seen him give money to homeless people or those asking for money on the street. He gives - sometimes prompted by a person asking and other times Eric just reaches into his pocket and gives all on his own. There is no big deal made about it. It’s done and over and we continue walking and talking and going on with our day. I find this fascinating. And generous. And something I wish I could do.

I mean I even had a problem giving it up for Streetwise, a weekly magazine/newspaper in Chicago, that people who are homeless or at risk can sell and keep the money. Seriously, what’s up with that? Why couldn’t I reconcile that $1.00 to help someone AND get a product to boot? Does that make me a bad person?

And even when Eric was a “struggling writer” – like literally no income for years – he still managed to give. How did/does he do it?! I always find (and have found) a reason for not giving - “I’m unemployed.” Or “I’ve been unemployed” Or “I’m working hard for this money” and on and on. I want to get to the point where I give because it’s the right thing to do, not because I’m guilted or shamed into doing so. I’m going to work towards that goal. In the meantime, I have Eric as inspiration.

Comments

  1. Great post. It is easier to give when you can put yourself right in that persons shoes--when you can look into their eyes and remember someone in the world once held this person in their arms and loved them. Like Nike says, JUST DO IT! I promise, you won't feel terrible about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I like that you're trying to be more charitable that's awesome! Whether it's the "right thing to do" to give money to panhandlers is highly debatable however. It's a much better idea to give that money to a homeless shelter or food pantry that to random people on the street.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts