Second Quarter 2010

What of it?

I guess I’ll start with the obvious. I FINALLY decided to move my quarterly update to a blog. It’s been suggested for quite some time but it wasn’t until recently that I decided to make the jump. Attribute it to the sometimes experienced boredom of being unemployed combined with a need to house all of my writings in one place. Since I’ve been submitting writing samples when applying for some jobs I think that having a place where all my writing is accessible would be beneficial.

As for the title…well, I had to pick something. The general goal of my blog at this time will be to express myself and share my thoughts and opinions. Shocking as it may seem there are times when those thoughts and opinions aren’t agreed upon by the masses…or anyone at all. To which I respond: “What of it” – hence the title.

What are you looking at?

So in class a week or so ago I was there, minding my own business as I always do (and note: this is a REAL minding my own business not a PRETEND minding my own business when I’m really and actually minding everyone else’s business) and I see a guy walking towards me. I’ve seen this guy in class before but I haven’t for some time. As I said in my last update I was off from class for a few months, also this guy comes to class randomly. The point – I haven’t seen him and he hasn’t seen me in a while. Since I don’t talk to anyone (class is for class, not socializing) I was in my own head not really paying complete attention to what he was doing or where he was walking. At some point I feel him standing next to me, staring at me, like he wants to say something. I turn to see him looking at me. Here are the few lines that were exchanged:

Him – “Don’t take this the wrong way but…

(OK WAIT – who wants to hear someone start off by saying that?! Anyway he continues)

Him - ….I haven’t seen you in class in a while and I don’t know if you’ve gained weight or lost weight but whichever it is, you look good.”

Me (pause, with no expression and a flat tone turn to him) – “I’m fatter.”

My dance colleague looked a little defeated or embarrassed or I don’t know what. I felt bad at that moment and followed up with:

Me – “Sorry. I also got my hair cut really short and I’m not wearing my schemata on my head. Maybe that’s why.”

Can I just take a compliment already?! Memo to self: talk to my therapist about this very story at next session.

My days

My job hunt continues...daily. As does my daily routine:

· get up at 7:15

· stretch this fat old body out

· sit-ups

· pushups

· weights (dumbbells)

· make coffee

· shower and at my laptop by before 9:00.

· Mondays & Wednesdays = a hike at Runyon Canyon in the morning (after pushups, before coffee)

· Tuesdays = ballet class at 11:30

· Thursday = therapist in the afternoon (btw, reading a GREAT book called The Velvet Rage - all about growing up age in a straight world. Good and easy read, consider it.)

· Fridays I'm live from my remote office in the morning and early afternoon (that would be the Gaybucks/Starbucks) just to shake things up a bit

I’m such a creature of habit that creating a routine and sticking to it makes me feel better for lack of better way to put it. In any event, it’s helpful and it gets me up in the morning.

As for jobs, I look for the following positions:

· -executive assistant

· -administrative assistant

· -editorial assistant (so I can get some writing experience)

· -conference planner

· -event planner

· -trade show manager

Since January 1 I've sent out about 80-90 letters and resumes. I can't tell if that's a little or a lot. I was called in for 1 interview out of all of them. I also went in to interview with The Creative Group, a temp to perm agency that specializes in marketing type jobs (conference and event planning fall under that umbrella.) They said they were happy to put me on their list of people to send out but I’m still waiting for that call. But better to be with them than not, yes?

There's no business like show business...really

Like most things in life the performance aspect of my life goes in ebbs and flows. Recently there was a flow of auditions and offers from those auditions. I took a couple and passed on a couple. One I decided to take is an original play called “Jaybird and Hallelujah” – the story of a group of people on a bus in purgatory and what they need to do in order to cross over. I swore I would never do another original play after the one I did in 2006 (see story in archive) but this one is different – it’s good. I play the angel who watches over the bus and its passengers to make sure they learn the lessons needed in order to make the leap. I’ve heard “oh that sounds like this” or “that sounds like that” and I’m fine with whatever. It’s a straight play and allows me to create a non-dance character. The director has been very supportive of the choices I’ve been making so that’s definitely been a good part about the experience. It runs the last 3 weekends (Saturday nights only) in July.

The other project I’m working on is a spec for a sitcom. A spec is something that is created by writers and/or producers who have an idea for a show. So they write something, they cast it, they shoot it – all on their own dime – and then try to “sell” the idea to a network. Sometimes the networks say yes to some or most or (least likely) all of the idea and then the project gets made. Sometimes (read: most) the network says – no thanks. And then that’s that. If it’s a yes, sometimes the actors who do the spec are invited to do the project. Sometimes some or one or all the actors in the spec are NOT asked to do the project due to an opinion from the network. For me this project is an opportunity to work on a sitcom-type project and get experience. I should also get a copy of what we shoot. We’ll be shooting 12 hours days this Saturday and Sunday. I’ll only be paid a couple of $$ but some is better than none, right? Also, at the table read – TOTAL cute guys, straight I think, but still good to look at. And talented. I’m all – “Wow, I’m running with this group? That’s cool!” Briefly it’s about a group working at a network trying to create the next big reality show. My character is Billy Simmons, the gay (of course) casting director. The good thing about this part is that the guys who created the project told me that they liked the improv I did at the audition and seem to have added some of the things I’ve said or done. Cool, right?

One last thing that I know I’ve already mentioned on Facebook but it’s yet to air – the gameshow I was a contestant on for the Gameshow network. It’s called Late Night Liars and it airs on Thursday nights on the Gameshow network (GSN). It’s a silly gameshow but was fun to do. Did I win anything? Tune in to see.

Generosity left and right

Thanks to my generous friends travel is a reality for me this year. For example in May I visited my friend Josh in New York. Thanks to his underwriting half of my ticket I was able to go, visit with him and be present as he debuted original choreography at an annual fundraiser at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. I was so, so proud of him. His choreography was phenomenal and very well received by the audience. To reinterpret a Bob Fosse original “Steam Heat” with a cast of 12 with a fresh, appropriate and respectful perspective is quite a feat. Mazel tov buhbi. That show aside, it was great to just be in Manhattan and be with a friend that I haven’t seen in such a long time. These days when we are more and more connected to people only electronically I think we might sometimes forget the intensity and benefit of actually being across from a friend. Hugging a friend. Just being with a friend. I feel I’ve always known it but this trip was a good reminder.

A nice surprise during this trip was being able to have lunch with another long time friend, Beth St John. She and her family were still living in Princeton, NJ in May so she decided to hop a train and come into the city for lunch. We had such a great visit and she told me about her upcoming housewarming party in August. She is moving back to MN with her children and want to have a party to celebrate her new house and moving back to MN that she loves so much. She knows of my unemployment and, like Josh, generously is underwriting half of my ticket to go out to attend her party and meet all her MN friends. I’m so excited to meet her children and all the great friends she talks about out there.

Purple slushies…yum!

Because of my trip to MN I’m able to make it to Chicago for my annual summer trip. I’ll be in Chicago from Saturday, August 7 to Monday, August 9. That’s Halsted Days weekend so it’s purple slushies all around!! Then it’s off to the suburbs for quality time with the family. I can’t wait for “the gang” to hang out. That would be: me, Morganna, Dubby and Spongebob. It seems like that show is ALWAYS on when I’m there. I have to admit, I do giggle at it. I’m sure there will be at least one night of Uncle Don babysitting so that my sister and her hubby can have a date. Who knows, maybe I’ll even see my teenage nephews. With it being summer and they being teenagers I do realize they have lives. Believe it or not, I was a teenager once, too. But it would be nice to see them.

The return of Fronk

This just in: I’ve recently been asked to be help coordinate the wedding of a very special person. The bride-to-be is the little sister of my “Grace” (aka Kris). I’ve known Karin (the bride) for 25 years; she’s like a little sister to me. I’m so glad to be a part of the wedding, especially in this way. The wedding is in October so I’ll be back in Chicago then with clipboard and headset ready for action!

Remote office and GLEE

This update is coming to you all live from my “remote office” while listening to the GLEE soundtrack. I have to tell you that there has been nothing that has made me feel happier these last few months than music, particularly the GLEE soundtrack.

(Sidenote: thanks to the generosity of my friend Monte I went to the GLEE concert out here. And because of his connections we went backstage and met the cast. And I mean shake hands, introduced by name and stood around talking to the actual cast members one by one. The guy who plays Finn is so tall. When we were introduced I just said: “You’re a monster. You’re so tall.” He was sweet, smiled and said: “It’s just the shoes.” It wasn’t the shoes.)

So, go find the music that makes you happy and just sit and listen to it. Take a walk with your ipod, even if it’s just around cul-de-sac. Give yourself the 15 or so minutes and escape. You’ll be surprised at what it will do for you.

That’s all for now. I’d love to hear from you all via email or via comments on this blog. I hope you all like the idea and the format of the blog, too.

PS Happy birthday today Mother dear!! xoxo

Comments

  1. Love this, Donz. Particularly any blog that references Fronk. Yours, Feedbags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a new drinking game for us all:

    Everyone has to do a shot every time Don writes the word "fat".

    I can't WAIT to get HAMMERED!!!

    (Yes, Don... I can definitely see your face.)

    LOVE YOU, YOU SKINNY MOTHER FUCKER. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: LOVE THE WHOLE BLOG IDEA, BUHBI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Don you, on so many levels, remind me of Spongebob. And I mean that in the best possible way. When I am giggling at an episode I always think "Don would think that is so funny, just like me." LOVE the new website/blog. It looks spectacular!!! Hooray for you. Can't wait to see you live in Aug and I can't even believe that is the first time you will see/meet my kids. weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for finally starting a blog. Yes I said it. What of it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the blog! It is about freakin time! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to August, and being your humble assistant at KK's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And another thing . .. I think one of the best things about this blog, other than the fabulous writing, might be the comments. I am digging them . . . and I wish I had a better blogging name like TownWhore. Um, is there anything else on blogs??? writing? comments? maybe photos/video? Don, it's time to expand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good Dottie-san.
    AND
    Take the compliment from your classmate!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an elegant writer with depth.

    Keep up the blogging; you are enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you really paid attention to that show, you'd know that you are Squidward...(to all the mothers out there, you know why) and Spongebob is Nemesis.
    No babysitting dates known at this time, just time all together. Looking forward to walking the town Monday afternoon w/ you and kiddies. Bring your earplugs, you'll need them. I like that you've created this. Thank you for doing it.
    Love, Rho

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, wait. You generally HAVE "Schemata" on your head?!? Owch! What about the wrist-and-ankle-holes Schemata and the ol' spear-in-the-side Schemata? Do you have all five Schematas? Man, who knew Donny P gets the Schemata? Easter must've been ROUGH, bro... (tho i still loved Patricia Arquette in the movie!) NOW i understand why you listen to so much Glee...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The words "Don" and "fat" just dont go together, I have pictures of you from what like 1st grade, and you were never, nor ever will be...unless you adopt a baby...then I can't speak for the weight gain ; )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts