Marcos

For an Italian dining experience that delivers consider Marcos. Or should I say the new and improved Marcos. Marcos trattoria has been a West Hollywood staple since its opening in 1993 but in the last year they’ve undergone a move (directly across the street) and a design overhaul. The one thing that hasn’t changed is the delicious menu. A friend and I dined at Marcos on a Thursday evening. We arrived about 7:30 with no reservations and were sat immediately. Despite the fact that the space is brand new I couldn’t help but feel as though the atmosphere could have used a little more “old.” Everything was too crisp and new and modern for an Italian restaurant. Now I don’t need dripping candles in old wine jugs and a red and white checkered tablecloth but there was something about the interior design that made it feel more Asian than Italian.

Design aside the server we had was very knowledgeable about the menu and enthusiastic about the items. When I order in a restaurant I do not mind asking a lot of questions. I ask because I genuinely want to know something. I gage the restaurant and the server on the response/reaction I get from my questions. That night at Marcos I had the full attention and interest of the server. He even went so far as to check on me during my first course of their classic Minestrone Della Mamma to see what my thoughts were. My friend and I hadn’t seen each other in a while so we chatted a lot, leaving my soup waiting for me to eat. My server noticed this, thought I didn’t like it and was prepared to offer me something else – anything else in its place. For my main course I had the Spaghetti with Meatballs. How much more classic can you get? The portion was substantial, the pasta was cooked perfectly and the two giant meatballs allowed for me to eat one there and the other for lunch the next day (with the remaining pasta.) Though stuffed to the gills my friend and I ordered the Tiramisu with Chocolate Sauce to share for dessert on the insistence of the server. He was right again, it was a wonderful version of an Italian classic though not as “light” as he suggested it was.

With a price point that is reasonable during any economic time, an attentive and bright staff and food that satisfies, consider Marcos for a casual and enjoyable neighborhood dining experience.

Comments

Popular Posts