Third and Fourth Quarters 2006

I just read my last update so I’d know where to start – wow, that one was pretty good I must say. That was August and here we are in December. What’s happened since? Eh, not much but I’ll write about it anyway.

I did an original play called “A Glance At An American Son.” Kinda of a long title but not NEARLY as long as the play itself. Since the writer was also the director he didn’t feel any need to cut anything he wrote. I came to find out that this play has been something he’d been working on for the past 15 years. From the looks of things I think he started writing in 1991 and, I feel, never put the pen down until we started rehearsing in October of this year. It was a two-act play that ran, with intermission, about 4 hours. Uh huh, I KNOW. Add to that we only performed it on Sunday NIGHTS at 8:00 pm!!! That there was anyone in the audience at curtain call is a miracle at all. I had the small but very pivotal role of gay make-up artist. You know how a character like that can keep a story about a young man trying to break into politics in the 1900’s together? Fine, I was comic relief of sorts but pivotal nevertheless. From that production I went into rehearsals for Jesus, Booze and Kwanza. This year’s production had us doing a number to Justin Timberlake’s “Sexy Back” with our lyrics – “Kwanza Back” as well as a number to the B52’a “Rock Lobster” entitled – “Black Santa” – complete with black face masks and everything. The first night that number received a mixed reaction. The second night the black face masks were dropped. The third night, after a heated discussion between the director and the producers of the show about keeping the masks (the director wanted to) during which the word “integrity” was used the masks went back in … with a warning to the audience. That did the trick; the audience totally went for the masks on our closing night. Go figure. Needless to say, the show was fun and silly and very irreverent.

On the subject of performances I’m currently rehearsing for a show called “TipToes.” It’s a Gershwin musical written in 1925 and kind of forgotten until recently. It takes place in the early 20s and there are lots of silly one-liners typical of that period. My favorite gag is said by one of the characters that is a vaudeville performer. He says: “The other day a man asked me to use the satiate in a sentence so I said: ‘Last night I took my girl to dinner and I’ll satiate (say she ate.)’” Makes me laugh even when I type it. There are 6 leads and 6 people in the chorus. I’m one of the 3 chorus boys. I think the show is going to be pretty good. I’m looking forward to this production for many reasons. The process has been fun so far. The cast is VERY talented AND I get to work with a very good friend of mine, Merissa. She and I have done 3 shows together already AND she just recently won the title of “LA’s Next Great Stage Star” – a competition that lasted 4 weeks, set in a cabaret. It was very entertaining and exciting. Her winning gives me hope and reinforces my desire to continue performing.

On another performance note I was recently offered a role in the musical “La Cage Aux Folles.” It’s a wonderful musical about the world of drag, performing and all that goes with it. I don’t know the story too well but I have heard some of the music from the show and like it. Because of the type of show it is there will be VERY elaborate costumes and dance numbers. The “catch” (if this is considered one) is that it rehearses and runs up in Carmel, CA. This means I’d need to take a leave of absence from Bon Appetit for two months – February 18 – April 20. It is a paid gig and the production would house us. The pay is a little less than half of what I make so while I wouldn’t be performing for nothing I’m not going to make anything on it either. I’ve been hoping to do a show that would take me out of LA (a tour ideally but this is a good start) to gain that opportunity. I’m going to talk to the boss of me in the next week or so regarding my 2 year review so I’ll investigate the possibility of a leave of absence at that time as well.

The work section has been removed to protect the innocent, sorry folks. dp

Other thing of note: on October 9 I was in a car accident. Thankfully everyone survived. The airbags in my car deployed and Josh (he was the passenger) and I received some minor burns on our arms from them. Repairs to my car, about $6,000 + car rental for 5 weeks + my chiropractic and other medical related bills have been/are being taken care of by the insurance company of the girl who hit me. So, at the end of the day I’m still alive, my car is in working order and I didn’t have to pay anything out of my pocket. The downside is that I’ve needed physical therapy for the past 3 months. Also because of the accident I have not been able to take class…I KNOW. It’s been 3 months without one demi, demi, grande, forward, back, first, second, fourth, fifth, other side and I’m about to scream. Both my doctor and my lawyer said I should be able to start class up in the next few weeks.

Completely unrelated to anything: the other night I was supposed to meet a friend out but went to a house party near where I live and had too many white wine spritzers to drive anywhere. AnyHOOT, I wish I had. When the bar closed my friend went to an after party with a friend of his. I would have gone along too since I know them both to be “good boys” and wouldn’t have worried about the kind of after party it was. Well, it turned out that the party was mostly gay men and some straight women there and guess what they did all night at the party? They played spin the bottle. JUST spin the bottle, nothing sexual, just kissing. I LOVE IT. Boys kissing boys; boys kissing girls – madness! But of course there had to be an LA take on the whole thing. Instead of spinning a bottle on the table they spun a dildo on a Lazy Susan. Genius and funny at the same time.

So, I went home for the holidays after all. I spent most of the time in the city and loved every minute of that. I wish I made enough money to keep a place in Chicago. Even the smallest of studio apartments would be perfect for the times when I come in. It’s something for me to keep in mind and work towards. And it may even make me want to travel back to Chicago more. During my trip this time around I was able to have a great dinner with friends on Thursday and then purple slushies afterwards. At dinner I was informed that a former colleague and former friend was getting married on that Saturday. I thought it was serendipitous that I would be home the very weekend she was getting married. My head swirled with the idea of walking in late, sitting in the back of the room with a big hat, glasses and a scarf – all in black. But a friend told/warned me that if I went to that wedding – whether she saw me or not – I would be unleashing LOTS of bad karma that would only come back to haunt me. That’s all I needed to hear. I don’t need any bad anything going into the New Year. It’s going to be a great year…the year of Don.

What’s the year of Don? Well, as you may or may not know on July 27 I’ll be turning 40 so I’ve decided that staring January 1 the year of Don starts. It’s a year dedicated to me, from me, about me. And don’t say, “What else is new?” because it’s just hasn’t been so. In fact my therapist is the one that has been telling me for some time now to take care of myself first. Through therapy I’ve uncovered that in the past I’ve worried a lot about everyone else’s feelings first and then mine second. That can only cause problems as you can probably guess so I’m in the process of changing that behavior. But don’t worry, I won’t be turning into the “ME ME ME” that is so prevalent in Los Angeles and particularly in the entertainment scene. It’s just not me. Thank GOD I have my solid Midwest upbringing as a stabilizing force within me. Add to that I also have a group of close friends that NEVER hesitate to keep me in line.

My guess is that some of you might get this email after the 1st of the year. If so, I hope you had a happy new year. For those of you reading it before the 31st – have a very happy and safe new year. My plans for New Year’s Eve are not set yet but there is talk of a small dinner party so I should have something to do. Wherever I am and whatever I’m doing I’m sure the evening include some tears. It doesn’t matter how happy I am NYE always brings about reflection and then memories and then, ultimately, some melancholy & tears. During a “normal” year it’s not too bad but this year has been riddled with so much sadness for me that I’m not quite sure what to expect…therefore the best thing for me is to NOT expect anything and just let whatever happens happen. When I think about 2006 I think – yes there has been a lot of sadness. Sadness like I’ve never experienced before. Sadness that resulted in a pretty dark depression. But then I look back and I think – wow, look at me today. Look at how far I’ve come. My daily life does not start off with me crying in the car everyday to work as it had for a few months. My thoughts are not completely held hostage by memories and wondering about a certain person. My life is full. I am doing what I love to do – perform. I talk to my friends and laugh and have fun – something that was pretty absent for a while. Looking back to gage accomplishments is healthy, looking back to wallow in emotion probably isn’t the best use of time or energy. I hope that my thoughts on NYE are of the former and not the latter. I hope YOUR thoughts on NYE are/were only of love and happiness and hope.

Write me and let me know what’s going on in your lives. Until then…

Xoxo

Don

Comments

Popular Posts